I was so stirred by these passionate words this morning by Jim Elliot:
"I have prayed for new men, fiery, reckless men, possessed of uncontrollably youthful passion-these lit by the Spirit of God. I have prayed for new words, explosive, direct, simple words. I have prayed for new miracles. Explaining old miracles will not do. If God is to be known as the God who does wonders in heaven and earth, then God must produce for this generation. Lord, fill preachers and preaching with Thy power. How long dare we go on without tears, without moral passions, hatred and love? Not long, I pray, Lord Jesus, not long …"
Last night at our Bible Study we covered the subject of Emotional Maturity in Relationships
Here are the raw notes from our study.
2 Cor 5:14-20.
Signs of Emotional Immaturity = Poor self-image
2. Easily offended
3. Wounded by what people say to help you
4. Imagining what people people are thinking
6. Self-Centeredness in a crowd
7. Drawing attention and soliciting recognition to themselves.
Growing in Maturity - the Process
1. Let God deeply know you, your needs, desires, fears, everything. Pour out your heart before Him. Ps 62.8 - intimacy with God deals with the frustration index.
2. Let Christ become center of your life. Mentally, emotionally, in your will, values and set him before your face. - Stability - Ps 16.8
3. He becomes the absolute source. Ps 87.7 God dependent not self nor people
4. We become God conscious and not self-absorbed. "Not my will but thine be done" - Mat 26.41
5. Shift your perception of people from their experiences and behavior to their spiritual need = "Not knowing them after the flesh"
6. The Love of Christ constrains us. 2 Cor 5.14
7. Then what we do and say to people is going to be God's mind, perspective & wisdom. We will be helping them grow in who they are in Christ not their flesh.
Recently we did a small study on a road trip regarding the cycles of disciple for an individual and for a nation. When God disciplines us He is displaying the utmost of love and responsibility of His Grace in our lives. Grace saves us and it keeps us from falling. It is so responsible over the believer that it will take the believer home to maintain its keeping care over the believer.
Divine discipline, like everything else in God's Plan, is based on His Grace in Jeremiah 29:11 & does not result in a loss of salvation - Gal 3:26
Here are the raw notes of our discussion.
The Successive Steps of Chastisement for the Believer
1. Word rebukes/corrects you - 2 Tim 3:16
2. Holy Spirit conviction - John 16:8
3. Exhortation / rebuke from another believer - 1 Thes 5:11
4. Emotional sickness; they react "People are judging me" - Ps 32:3-5
5. Circumstantial adversity; details of life used to chastise - Prov 13:15
9. Scourging - all or some combined of the above - Heb 12:6
10. God takes believer home - 1 John 5:16
Negative reaction to the cycles of discipline in a believer's life
- Support groups / cliques
3 Steps to Rebound out of Chastisement:
Confession - 1 John 1:9
Repentance - Rom 2:1-2
Conversion - Ps 19:7-14
The 8 Characteristics of True Repentance - 2 Cor 7:11
1. Godly sorrow
3. Clearing of myself
5. Fear - Godly fear
6. Vehement desire
8. Revenge - revenging with obedience
The Cycle of Discipline on a Nation:
Pre-chastisement of a nation - 1 Peter 4:7 Judgment begins in the House of God the Church
Condition of a Laodecian Church - No longer Stays the Judgment of God on the Nation
~ 1 Sam 3 - Man of God (Eli) / Church fat and happy & eyes grow dim / no discernment
1. No word
2. No vision
3. Lamp of God put out
4. Fornication and corruption in the temple by the God's servants (Hophneas & Phineas)
Lev 26 - Chastisement for a nation begins:
1. Economic crisis
2. Murder, violence on the streets, ethnic unrest
3. Nation-wide Natural disasters
4. Governmental paralysis
5. Eventual government breakdown
6. Military Take over
7. No more memory of the nation, language or culture
The Restoration of a Nation:
Pro 14:34 Righteousness exalteth a nation: but sin is a reproach to any people.
2 Chronicles 7:14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.