7 Characteristics of Servanthood

,


Today while my wife and I visited p. Maciek and Renata with their beatuiful church, I preached on the subject of Servanthood. Here below are the notes from the message that you can listen to here: http://bit.ly/19Kw437

John 12:25-26 He that loveth his life shall lose it; and he that hateth his life in this world shall keep it unto life eternal. If any man serve me, let him follow me; and where I am, there shall also my servant be:if any man serve me, him will my Father honor.

Jn 13.12-17 "So after he had washed their feet, and had taken his garments, and was set down again, he said unto them, Know ye what I have done to you? Ye call me Master and Lord:and ye say well; for so I am. If I then, your Lord and Master, have washed your feet; ye also ought to wash one another’s feet. For I have given you an example, that ye should do as I have done to you. Verily, verily, I say unto you, The servant is not greater than his lord; neither he that is sent greater than he that sent him. If ye know these things, happy are ye if ye do them. 

1. A Servant is powerful:
  • One of the most powerful thing in this universe is life of a servant. One of the weakest things on this earth is the life of a servant. 
  • No one gets the amount of things done in the simplicity and the focus that a servant has. For there is no flesh to complicate matters, relationships, or vision. 
2. A Servant appears mundane: 
  • "In some ways we would prefer to hear Jesus' call to deny father and mother, houses and land for the sake of the gospel than his word to wash feet. Radical self-denial gives the feel of adventure. If we forsake all, we even have the chance at glorious martyrdom"
  • "But in service we must experience the many little deaths of going beyond ourselves. Service banishes us to the mundane, the ordinary, the trivial.”
  • Submitting yourselves one to another in the fear of God. Eph 5.21 
3. A Servant is not in control:
  • "It is one thing to go on the lonely way with dignified heroism, but quite another thing if the line mapped out for you by God means being a door-mat under other people's feet.
  • Mother Teresa: "I belong to Jesus. He must have the right to use me without consulting me.
4. A Servant choses to be a servant rather than choosing to serve
  • When we chose to serve we are in charge. When we chose to be a servant we give up the right to be in charge. This is great freedom. If we chose to be a servant then we cannot be manipulated. When we chose to be a servant we surrender the right to decide when and where we will serve. That is availability and vulnerability. 
  • There is a natural hesitancy that comes with any serious discussion of serving. Because there is a hesitancy in understanding the cost before jumping in. The fear is that people will take advantage of us
  • Self-righteous service picks and choses whom to serve. "Sometimes the low and defenseless are served because that will ensure a humble image. True service is indiscriminate in its ministry. It has heard the command of Jesus.
5. A Servant has lost his rights because of love
  • The perspective of a slave. A slave sees all of life from the viewpoint of slavery. He does not see himself as possessing the same rights as free men and women. When this slavery is involuntary it is cruel and dehumanizing. When the slavery is freely chosen, however, everything is changed. Voluntary servitude is a great joy.
  • “Bond slave” - a slave that has chosen to be a slave - not to serve. Paul is an example of this: "Yea, and if I be offered upon the sacrifice and service of your faith, I joy, and rejoice with you all.” - Phil 2.17
6. A Servant is not bound to himself in self-love
  • "But none of these things move me, neither count I my life dear unto myself, so that I might finish my course with joy, and the ministry, which I have received of the Lord Jesus, to testify the gospel of the grace of God." - Acts 20.24 
  • Nothing crucifies the flesh like serving, nothing transforms the desires of the flesh like serving in hiddenness. The flesh screams for attention and will devise subtle, religious attention to the service rendered.  
7. A Servant serves giving all though the result may be small.
  • There is no demand for great results because it is an anointing upon the servant. 
  • Luke 4.18 - The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised
  • Luke 22.27 - For whether is greater, he that sitteth at meat, or he that serveth? is not he that sitteth at meat? but I am among you as he that serveth. 
  • Luke 6.40 The disciple is not above his master: but every one that is perfect shall be as his master.