Remember these things next time you feel offended:
1. Never, ever withdraw. No matter how hurt you are
2. 9 times out of 10 we simply misunderstood what was said and didn't see the heart behind what was said
3. Always wait 24 hours before you answer a matter
4. People say hurtful things because they are hurting themselves.
5. Never take things personally, ever. It's not about you. You just happened to be in the path of a bitter person.
6. Take criticism with a smile.
7. Do not give an offended person a platform to speak their mind. They will only infect others. Speak privately with them.
8. When you are offended it is a tell-tale fact that a part of your flesh is still dominating your soul without the Cross. Only the self-centered old sin nature can get offended.
9. When you're tired, hurting or in pain you most likely are the most vulnerable to be offended.
10. Even though it was said in a hurtful way or improperly, ask yourself this question "was it true what they said" and if so deal with it alone with God.
When we get offended, no matter the circumstance, we can know for sure that the symptom of offense that we feel is a sure sign we have uncrucified flesh reigning somewhere in our soul.
If the Word of God offends us agree with it quickly - Jesus spoke beforehand that his disciples would have Divine Definition so that when offense came they would not be scandalized. Matthew 5:25-26 "Agree with thine adversary quickly, while thou art in the way with him; lest at any time the adversary deliver thee to the judge, and the judge deliver thee to the officer, and thou be cast into prison. Verily I say unto thee, Thou shalt by no means come out thence, till thou hast paid the uttermost farthing"
Great peace have they which love thy law:and nothing shall offend them.
And then many will be offended and repelled and will begin to distrust and desert [Him Whom they ought to trust and obey] and will stumble and fall away and betray one another and pursue one another with hatred.
A brother offended is harder to be won than a strong city:and their contentions are like the bars of a castle.
And blessed is he, whosoever shall not be offended in me.
Then came his disciples, and said unto him, Knowest thou that the Pharisees were offended, after they heard this saying?
But he answered and said, Every plant, which my heavenly Father hath not planted, shall be rooted up.
Let them alone:they be blind leaders of the blind. And if the blind lead the blind, both shall fall into the ditch.
Prediction About Peter’s Denial
(Mark 14:27- 31; Luke 22:31- 34; John 13:36- 38)
Then saith Jesus unto them, All ye shall be offended because of me this night:for it is written, I will smite the shepherd, and the sheep of the flock shall be scattered abroad.
But after I am risen again, I will go before you into Galilee.
-- Peter answered and said unto him, Though all men shall be offended because of thee, yet will I never be offended.
Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, That this night, before the cock crow, thou shalt deny me thrice.
Peter said unto him, Though I should die with thee, yet will I not deny thee. Likewise also said all the disciples.
And have no root in themselves, and so endure but for a time:afterward, when affliction or persecution ariseth for the word’s sake, immediately they are offended.
Is not this the carpenter, the son of Mary, the brother of James, and Joses, and of Juda, and Simon? and are not his sisters here with us? And they were offended at him.
These things have I spoken unto you, that ye should not be offended.
2 Corinthians 11:29
Who is weak, and I am not weak? who is offended, and I burn not?
And he said, Therefore said I unto you, that no man can come unto me, except it were given unto him of my Father.
From that time many of his disciples went back, and walked no more with him.
Then said Jesus unto the twelve, Will -- ye also go away?
Then Simon Peter answered him, Lord, to whom shall we go? thou hast the words of eternal life.
Rom 5.5 the love of God sheds abroad in our hearts
Self love is easily wounded. It is so geared to its own self and self consciousness and is not easily healed. Overly occupied with myself everyday and how much I should be loved, valued and needed. Cain was wounded hurt, offended and never healed.
We have to leave ourselves to discover this love. Love one another as I have loved you.